By Lee Maginnis
Haulbowline Lighthouse, built on a wave washed rock, midway between County Down (Northern Ireland) and County Louth (Republic of Ireland), had its tower specially illuminated to mark the centenary of a maritime disaster that happened only metres away.
An arrangement of floodlights was installed and connected to a battery pack which in turn was charged during daylight hours by a solar panel. The lighthouse was lit up on the inland facing side only.
In 1916, a collier called the SS Retriever was sailing into Newry from Garston when it collided with the passenger ferry SS Connemara outbound from Greenore. Ninety-four people lost their lives that night. Only one person survived.
As these photos by Stephen Rooney illustrate, the lighthouse looked spectacular on a calm night with the reflection on the water.